Sunday, August 26, 2012

Visiting the Rice University Campus

As a rising senior, this summer it was important for me to visit some colleges to get an idea of where i'd most like to attend. My "dream school" is Rice University. There are a million reasons I love Rice, but one of them is simply how gorgeous the campus is. On our tour, our tour guide, a student, told us that there are more trees on campus than they have students in the entire school! To me that was awesome because i'm a total tree hugger, and for a girl looking for a small school, that was the best possible way to become aware of what i call an awesome tree-to-student ratio.
Some pictures of how gorgeous the rice campus is and the surrounding area called rice village:









I took some of these photos and others i got off of the Rice website. I fell in love with how green everything was. It felt so lively and cozy. When i was much younger, i remember driving down Main Street in the back of my mom's minivan, looking at the rows of trees, and feeling tiny and in awe. I loved that, a decade later, i still was captivated by it. There are long running paths around rice that are all under the kind shade of the trees. To me, it's like a paradise. I'm applying early decision to rice to major in Mathematics, or Applied Mathematics. I'll know by December if I'm accepted or not...
YAY RICE AND ALL OF THE TREES

  • This relates to environmental science because atmosphere on campus is key to the vibes that you feel on it, in my opinion. At a school where everything is gray and concrete, it doesn't feel like a happy place. Incorporating the environment into our architecture is cool looking, and i think it's the future! I read an article a couple years back about an initiative to turn roofing on human structures into gardens, with grass covering the top of all of the buildings. I thought that was a great idea! but some people think it's visually ugly, or have other complaints about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment